Monday 15 September 2008

Sockery


The little sockette at the bottom is the beginnings of an Embossed Leaf on 2.5 mm needles, begun in December. Too small, the stitches too tight.

Above it, a second attempt on 2.75 mm needles, cast on waiting for Jane, outside the MI6 building last Saturday morning, knit while listening to her Harlotiness and on buses and in between lectures since. Too big, the stitches too loose.

Jane suggested I try knitting on with the 2.5 mm needles, and suddenly, it is the right size. I’ve been trying to knit more loosely with DPNs recently, and it seems to have worked. Oh, and I’ve also learned to make my YOs bigger, bringing the yarn forward as if to purl and then back over the needle instead of just up and over, as instructed in Heirloom Knitting, which was my bedtime reading a few months ago.

I’m off to knit a hat.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

MI6 building?? You mean there really is an MI6??? Wow. (I love to watch BBC America. Coupling is a hoot). Anyhoo, I thing the socks are gorgeous. I hate it when I knit a pair and they don't fit. At least my Mom has smallish feet. Hope the 2.5's work better. I think I'd give up after ripping out twice.

Ang

Unknown said...

I hope you were able to fix the socks without ripping. I love that pattern!