Monday 7 April 2008

Pop! goes the weasel

I finished knitting Jelly Bean's jumper a few weeks ago, and it is now waiting for me to sew it up. I have exams brewing (real, summative, end-of-year, everything-you-should-have-learned-since-the-first-day-ever exams), and sewing bits of knitting together doesn't seem like the welcome break from revision that a few rounds of sock provides.

Undaunted by the growing sewing pile, as soon as I'd finished knitting the baby jumper I started plotting what I might knit next for JB, and thinking about the Chunky Knit Cardigan from Erika Knight's Simple Knits for Cherished Babies, and how to fit yarn for all the projects I want to knit into my monthly budget, I remembered Ashley's thoughts on Valley Yarns Longmeadow. I immediately hopped over to Webs, chose the colour of yarn and was about to click 'buy', when I remembered this. 'Hum,' I thought. 'Four balls of cotton-blend, in a colour I don't really want; what on earth would I do with that?' and was about to give up on the quest when I noticed they had a colour card! Problem solved.

Only, of course, since I was trying to save myself money, it didn't quite make sense to pay transatlantic postage just for a piece of flimsy card with some threads tied on, did it? Obviously, it would be sensible to buy some more of the yarn I have plans for from Webs at the same time, so I went looking for them. Lamb's Pride Worsted, Cascade 220, no colour cards. Silk Garden, Bamboo Soft, not in the colours I was hoping for, Rowan Denim, sold out of the colour I wanted - and after that, I was plunging into the realms of the unknown, or unneeded.

And then I remembered that I'd always wanted to try Louet Gems, and then I found that their super fine yarn was recommended for socks, and then I thought of a pattern, and then - Well, buying sock yarn has always been a good way of saving money, hasn't it?

Half a pound of tuppenny rice, half a pound of treacle...


Louet Gems fingering weight in Eggplant and Grape. Yum.

2 comments:

elli said...

Those two colors scream colorwork to me! The project I just finished was in fingering gems...

Ink and Indigo said...

I've often vaguely escaped the plight you so eloquently describe,but those two colours of Louet Gems just scream to be eaten...

PS. I don't know how long it'll take me to stop being depressed about Boris, and I don't even live in London!