Friday 7 July 2006

Taking sock

I realise I spend a lot of time poddling around the internet looking at and learning things, plotting and fretting, and actually have very little to show for things. So I thought I'd show you my latest unsatisfactory piece of knitting before sending it to the frog pond.


This is my first sock, take two. Ashley commented on the last version that it looked 'squooshy and comfy', which I interpreted as a kind way of saying 'floppy and messy' (I was already leaning towards this assessment of it anyway). So I started again with smaller needles, and in my zest for streamlining probably downsized a little too vehemently. Thinking about it, from 3.75 to 3.0mm is probably going down three sizes. So the nearly-finished sock fits OK, it's just that there are some ladders down the middle.


(Please ignore the fact that it looks like I have oedema. I am perfectly well, and seemingly unable to take a good picture of my own foot).

Although this doesn't appear at either of the other joins, I think it has something to do with the conjunction of the two needles with fewer stitches, and my own inability to knit these neatly enough. But I've also noticed that there are even worse ladders in the picture that came with the pattern. I was wondering about this, thinking that if a pattern-writing sock-knitter had the same problems, it would make more sense to have that particular needle joint on the sole of the sock. And I was pondering and poddling, and came across this diagram via this excellent tutorial, which recommends exactly that.


Now I could of course rip back to the heel, and reknit it on the other side of the sock, but then for a pair of these socks I would've had to knit almost four of these, and at the moment I don't like them enough for all that. So, back to the yarn drawer it is. Besides, there are plenty of other socks I'd rather be knitting.

Hmm, maybe I should spend less time interknitting and a bit more time actually knitting.

5 comments:

Ashley said...

Oh, nonsense. I really meant squooshy and comfy.

Might I also recommend placing markers to indicate the gusset decreases, and working on 4 needles instead? Should get rid of the ladders entirely, esp if you shift a few stitches each time you change needles.

Anonymous said...

That sock looks great to me! It's too bad you're frogging it... I have yet to knit my first sock, I'm scared!
On another note: It was you who I was going to give a copy of the robot pattern to, right? If so, I think I deleted the email where you gave me your address... give me an email at julesatschool at hotmail dot com

mathomhouse said...

Ann Budd recommends working two or three stitches from the next needle onto the working needle each time, which will shift the spot at which the loose stitches occur, and prevent them from laddering upwards in a straight line. I could never remember to pull that last stitch tighter than usual -- the other way of avoiding ladders -- so this "shift" method is much easier for me.

Marie said...

I think they look lovely! I agree with Ashley and Jeanne...use one more needle and shift the end stitches around and that should get rid of ladders. :) The pomatomus pattern has you doing that every repeat. Otherwise, it's really hard to tighten the stitches at the end. Hope the next socks work out well! Are you going to use the same yarn?

Anonymous said...

i also think it looks squooshy and comfy in all nice senses of the description. i really like the sock; it's very cute.

ladders are frustrating; for me, it seems inevitable with cetain yarns. i second everyone's 4th needle comments. the less acute the angle between the needles, the easier it is to minimize the gap. i've read and found tightening the second and third stitches on the needles rather than the first or last helps. oh, and a few washes will even out subtle laddering!

those sock links are lovely; hope you already have another pair on your needles.