I realise I spend a lot of time poddling around the internet looking at and learning things, plotting and fretting, and actually have very little to show for things. So I thought I'd show you my latest unsatisfactory piece of knitting before sending it to the frog pond.
This is my first sock, take two. Ashley commented on the last version that it looked 'squooshy and comfy', which I interpreted as a kind way of saying 'floppy and messy' (I was already leaning towards this assessment of it anyway). So I started again with smaller needles, and in my zest for streamlining probably downsized a little too vehemently. Thinking about it, from 3.75 to 3.0mm is probably going down three sizes. So the nearly-finished sock fits OK, it's just that there are some ladders down the middle.
(Please ignore the fact that it looks like I have oedema. I am perfectly well, and seemingly unable to take a good picture of my own foot).
Although this doesn't appear at either of the other joins, I think it has something to do with the conjunction of the two needles with fewer stitches, and my own inability to knit these neatly enough. But I've also noticed that there are even worse ladders in the picture that came with the pattern. I was wondering about this, thinking that if a pattern-writing sock-knitter had the same problems, it would make more sense to have that particular needle joint on the sole of the sock. And I was pondering and poddling, and came across this diagram via this excellent tutorial, which recommends exactly that.
Now I could of course rip back to the heel, and reknit it on the other side of the sock, but then for a pair of these socks I would've had to knit almost four of these, and at the moment I don't like them enough for all that. So, back to the yarn drawer it is. Besides, there are plenty of other socks I'd rather be knitting.
Hmm, maybe I should spend less time interknitting and a bit more time actually knitting.