Monday 30 January 2006

The Home-Maker

This morning I finished this.


It's a beautiful, powerful book that portrays family life and relationships, from the points of view of everyone invovled, so evocatively that sometimes I had to put down the book for a second just to marvel at the author's gift. It is also a novel that examines an issue very close to my heart, and made me think about it differently, or at least in ways that I had realised but not understood. I was slightly disappointed in the ending, because it left a question unanswered that I thought was important to the characters involved, and I stumbled slightly against dated language, but I definitely want to read this again, perhaps often. I'm also greatly looking forward to the wealth of books offered by Persephone, a catalogue I have only dipped my toe into.

No comments: